Having your teeth whitened at the dentist’s office can be quite an expensive investment but offers one of the best enhancements to your smile. For this reason, it is important that you take care of your newly whitened teeth so that they can maintain their color for a long time. One way of ensuring this is by watching what you eat. You need to be particularly careful about what you eat in the first few weeks after the teeth whitening procedure. In this post, we tell you the foods to eat as well as those you need to keep away from.
Foods to Eat
Go for room temperature foods. After undergoing a tooth whitening procedure, there may be a period of pain or sensitivity that lasts up to 72 hours. This irritation is made even worse when you eat foods that are either too hot or too cold. Therefore, whatever you eat, make sure that it is at room temperature. When the temperature is either too hot or too cold, it will lead to maximum discomfort.
Natural crunch is the best. When it comes to dental health, the taste of food is not the only thing to consider. An important thing with regard to delivering nutrients to the body is eating and digestion of the food. There are many ways to get crunch-on, and this includes eating chips and cookies. Others chew raw foods like cassava and sweet potatoes. If you want to maintain your pearly whites, it is important that you eat only natural crunch. These also act as natural cleaners of the teeth.
There are several delicious as well as affordable crunchy foods which also meet the current Nutrition Plate recommendation set by the United States Department of Agriculture. These include:
Cheese. Cheese is very good for dental health. In fact, all dairy products tend to be good for the teeth since they contain calcium. According to science, eating dairy products that are low in fat can boost oral health. These foods also minimize tooth conditions like periodontal diseases and tooth decay. Also, given that dairy products are white in color, there are no chances that they can stain your freshly whitened teeth.
Concentrate on White Foods
• Eat white dry or boiled chicken, white fish, turkey, white rice, white sauce, and white pasta.
• For potatoes, you can eat boiled, mashed or baked. Take note to peel the skin off.
Foods to Void
Vegetables that you should avoid are peas, broccoli, sprouts, green beans, and sweet corn. Salads such as beetroot, red or green lettuce and tomatoes among other things need to be avoided.
• For alcoholic drinks, take only clear liquids like Malibu, Gin, Vodka and white wine.
• Drinks to avoid are tea (Iced or Hot) as it can cause the deepest staining, Orange Juice, Coffee, no fizzy drinks and Soda among other things.
• Alcoholic drinks to avoid are red wine, beer and generally any colored alcohol.
• In case you had an afternoon or early treatment, only brush your pearly whites using white toothpaste. Avoid using any colored mouthwash for two days.
• For late-night treatment, resist from brushing your teeth that night and only do it the following day.
• If you feel gum sensitivity after teeth whitening experience, use bonjela. Just rub it and your sensitivity will quickly disappear.
Call us today
If you need more information about your tooth health or you want to know the dental options available for you, talk to us. Our staffs will provide you with cutting edge advice to help you make a decision that is best for your teeth. For more information or to schedule a no-obligation consultation to discuss your dental health call Dr. Mariana Conant today at (480) 867-1727.